[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with website

Dan Swartzendruber dswartz at druber.com
Mon Oct 10 21:32:04 UTC 2011

A couple of thoughts: OSX is a dreadful wrong example.  If you polled 1
million Mac users and asked them 'what OS runs under the hood?', my guess is
95% would have no idea what you are talking about.  Secondly, throwing vague
statements out about the 'shortcomings of linux' is at best non-helpful, and
at worst discredits you.  I am a Software Engineer, and it irks me to no end
to have to retain N different tool/command sets in my memory for no good
reason.  Whether you like it or not, Linux (and to a lesser extent, the
various BSD dialects) are what most folks know and are comfortable with.
Presenting them with yet another flavor of Unix, with a command/tool set
that is too distant is going to result in the person walking away and
settling for redhat/ubuntu/debian or whatever.  I kind of hinted at this in
an earlier post - if I didn't have to use OI or some flavor of OS to get ZFS
for my SAN, I would have gone elsewhere like a shot.  BSD and Linux are
pretty close when most of the commands are considered - OS is much less so,
and that is what is going to relegate it to a niche system unless something
changes.  And no, I'm not an opposing fanboy or basher, just a realist...