[OpenIndiana-discuss] Time Machine and quota limiting

Jaco Schoonen jaco at macuser.nl
Fri Aug 17 13:11:17 UTC 2012

> I have both the sparsebundle size and the ZFS FS set. So the FS was created
> with a quota of 300GB and the sparsebundle then created in there with
> 300GB.

OK, thanks for the tip. I'll give it a go.

> Unless you're backing up multiple Macs, don't use dedup, the performance
> hit you'll take will be huge after a few months unless you've got an
> obscene amount of RAM, like 64+GB

I don't use dedup for everythings, but for TimeMachine I think it may write more or less the same data quite often so there I have it enabled.
Performance for time machine doesn't really matter too much. Besides, my NAS (5GB RAM) is only connected with single GBit, so I don't need faster than that.

> Dedup and compression give you more free space, and that's what time
> machine sees.
>
> Works great for me. I'm backing up 5 macs.

Cool thanks!

Jaco