[OpenIndiana-discuss] Linux container, and plex?

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Aug 20 18:37:52 UTC 2012

2012-08-20 14:38, Jonathan Adams пишет:
> Illumos doesn't have Linux Branded Zones any more ...
>
> if you want to look into adding them back in you could have a look at:
>
> https://www.illumos.org/issues/104
> or
> http://os-solaris.ru/en/lx-brand-dlya-openindiana-151a/
>
> or you could do what I did and run a full KVM Linux machine on your server:
>
> http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/KVM

Or you could use VirtualBox ;)

BTW, are there any known substantial (practically visible)
benefits to using KVM over using VirtualBox? I believe the
"pros" of KVM would include:
* Clarity on licensing (same as illumos - free for use)
* Kernel integration - faster execution (is it measured?)

The "cons" may include the limited models of CPUs that KVM
currently supports, while VirtualBox is more omnivorous.

I believe both allow interops with other platforms (i.e.
to migrate a VM from an OI host to another one, or to import
VMs onto OI hosts).

I saw allegations on the list that enabling both KVM and
VB on the same machine can have negative effects - true?

Thanks,
//Jim