[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing 151a5 server from USB over serial console

Dustin Marquess dmarquess at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 19:34:33 UTC 2012

Is there some magic voodoo I'm missing here?

I've taken the 151a5 server text mode .usb file, mounted it, and
edited /boot/grub/menu.lst to tell GRUB itself to use the serial
console, and to also add the kernel ttya setting to the "text mode"
entry.

dd'd that to the drive (along with the 1G header) and it failed.

Tried redoing it and this time also unpacking the boot_archive,
editing /etc/ttydefs, and repacking it.  Same error.

The error I got both times is:

OpenIndiana Build oi_151a5 64-bit (illumos 13740:836bfdf31fc4)
SunOS Release 5.11 - Copyright 1983-2010 Oracle and/or its affiliates.
All rights reserved. Use is subject to license terms.
WARNING: No randomness provider enabled for /dev/random. Use cryptoadm(1M) to e.
Hostname: openindiana
Remounting root read/write
Probing for device nodes ...
Preparing live image for use
Requesting System Maintenance Mode
(See /lib/svc/share/README for more information.)
Console login service(s) cannot run

Enter user name for system maintenance (control-d to bypass):

I can login as root and look around, but I can't find any logs with
any obvious errors.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
-Dustin