[OpenIndiana-discuss] Tribblix update

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 12:19:32 UTC 2012

On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Alan Coopersmith
<alan.coopersmith at oracle.com> wrote:
> On 12/16/12 09:56 PM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>> On 12/16/12 09:42 PM, ken mays wrote:
>>> Hi Peter,
>>>
>>> I like it. Could you do a milestone build based on Xorg 7.7?
>>>
>>> Maybe: Xorg 7.7 [https://hg.openindiana.org/upstream/oracle/x-cons/x-s11-update-clone/file/c0ba569ea901]

I was considering updating X. Not because there's a fundamental need
to, but the current Xvnc and E17 refuse to get along...

It's not a high priority, as there are lots of other things that would
be more useful. To be honest, I would prefer to import X11 from
elsewhere rather than maintaining it myself which takes time away
from other projects.

>> I would not be surprised if that fails to build as-is on illumos/OI-147,
>> as it has taken advantage of a few changes that happened in ON (such as
>> new linker flags & KMS support for i915) since then, as well as newer
>> versions of packages like libtool than snv_147 had (but those may already
>> be updated in OI as well).
>
> Oh, and it assumes no one needs 32-bit binaries any more, since all Solaris 11
> users have to be running the 64-bit kernel since the 32-bit kernel was EOL'ed.
> (32-bit libraries are still there for binary compatibility with other programs,
>  it's just most of the /usr/bin/x* commands converted to 64-bit.)
>
> If you care about 32-bit support, that's one more change you'll have to undo.

Ouch. While I'm not intending to keep 32-bit support around forever,
I still have 32-bit only hardware, and am aiming to be useful on older
systems, and being able to run in more restricted environments than
are currently supported by the more heavyweight options is definitely
a target.

--
-Peter Tribble