[OpenIndiana-discuss] Cyrus SASL ver 2 package missing binary files?

Gary Mills gary_mills at fastmail.fm
Thu Jan 5 15:25:55 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 04, 2012 at 09:44:50PM -0600, Jerry Kemp wrote:

> In the past, when I needed to compile a special version of OpenSSL, many
> times applications that I compiled, that linked to that special version
> of OpenSSL sometimes had conflicts with the Sun supplied OpenSSL.  But I
> couldn't get rid of the Sun OpenSSL because there were many dependencies
> built against the Sun OpenSSL.  So I had to work out those issues.
>
> I have a similar concern with the OpenIndiana SASL, vs one I would
> compile on my own.

Yes, this one is complicated for the same reason, and also because the
SASL libraries can incorporate libraries from many other products.

I just looked at the SASL source in Illumos, which resides at:

    usr/src/lib/libsasl

This is version 2.1.15 but with many files omitted.  These are the
object files used to build the library, for example:

    SASLOBJS=	auxprop.o	canonusr.o	checkpw.o	client.o \
		common.o	config.o	dlopen.o	external.o \
		md5.o		saslutil.o	seterror.o	server.o

There's also no saslauthd and no database support included in this
SASL installation.

You might be able to obtain and build the complete source for 2.1.15
and use only saslauthd and saslpasswd2 from that build, but I have
some doubts about that procedure.

I'd still recommend doing a complete rebuild and installing it in a
different location.  This is what I used under Solaris 10 to build
cyrus-sasl-2.1.22:

    env	LDFLAGS="-R/usr/local/lib" \
	CC=cc \
        INSTALL=/usr/ucb/install \
	./configure \
        --localstatedir=/var/run \
        --with-dblib=none \
	--with-saslauthd=/var/run/saslauthd \
        --with-ipctype=doors \
        --with-openssl=/usr/sfw \
        --with-mysql=/usr/local/src/mysql/mysql-4.0.18 \
        --disable-checkapop \
        --disable-otp \
        --enable-login \
        --enable-ntlm \
        --enable-sql \
        --disable-krb4 \
	--disable-gssapi

Your configuration will have to be different.  Since you want to use
saslpasswd2 with a dedicated password database, you should specify its
library in the `--with-dblib' parameter.  One of the Berkeley versions
is a good choice.  You'll certainly want to omit `--with-mysql' and
`--enable-sql' as well.  By default, it installs into /usr/local .
You might want to change this to /opt/sasl or some such thing.