[OpenIndiana-discuss] Massive numbers of man files, missing on 151a4

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Mon May 7 11:21:32 UTC 2012

Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> I  managed to determine (ocular inspection of "ls" in several snapshots)
> that the only files missing were about 1200 man pages in man1, and the
> entire /usr/local tree.
>
> And I think it must have happened as I removed the sfe version of
> imagemagick.

One way I've seen this sort of thing happen is when an administrator
uses a symlink for a common directory (such as /usr/local), and a
package delivers a directory entry for that same path.  The packaging
system will happily blow the symlink away.

If that's what you've been doing, I suggest using mounts instead of
symlinks.  The simplest thing to do is to make /usr/local (or whatever
is being symlink'd) be a separate zfs file system.  Alternatively, if
separate file systems are not your taste for some reason, consider using
a lofs mount.  (Of course, getting that mount in place at boot time may
 be slightly tougher to do on a modern Open Indiana system, as zfs works
outside of the /etc/vfstab scheme.)