[OpenIndiana-discuss] Same networking with varied NICs

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Mon Oct 1 10:02:40 UTC 2012

Hello all,

   I wondered what is a Crossbow+VanityNaming way of
doing some things I've done some time ago with static
config files:

   I have an installed OS image which can be booted on
different hardware (say, a pass-through partition with
OI that can be booted from hardware BIOS as a dual-boot
option, as well as in a VM from another host OS on the
box). In these different hardware environments this box
sees varied networking gear - an rge0 in one case and
an e1000g0 in another. I want the logical networking
to be the same in these cases.

   So, previously for a singular global zone I made two
files (/etc/hostname.e1000g0 and /etc/hostname.rge0)
with identical contents, and the system plumbed the
one "present" NIC with the needed addressing setup.

   Now I want to make some VNICs and configure some
local zones with attachment to the external NIC (can
play with both exclusive and shared IP stacks).

   I expected that "vanity naming" can help me in this
case by naming "the present NIC" for example "eth0",
and my zone and VNIC attachments would go over eth0.
Should this work?

   Alternately, can I create an etherstub with several
attached VNICs, including one with IP configuration
for the global zone, and bridge it to external LAN
via "the one present NIC" (i.e. by attaching both
e1000g0 and rge0 instances to the etherstub)?

   Disclaimer: I did not yet try either variant, and
am in the process of setting up the boot of physical
OI from a VM in another OS, but wanted to know in
advance what to expect ;)

Thanks,
//Jim