[OpenIndiana-discuss] Same networking with varied NICs

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Mon Oct 1 11:04:08 UTC 2012

Jim Klimov wrote:
>   I expected that "vanity naming" can help me in this
> case by naming "the present NIC" for example "eth0",
> and my zone and VNIC attachments would go over eth0.
> Should this work?

Yes; it's how they were designed to work.

>   Alternately, can I create an etherstub with several
> attached VNICs, including one with IP configuration
> for the global zone, and bridge it to external LAN
> via "the one present NIC" (i.e. by attaching both
> e1000g0 and rge0 instances to the etherstub)?

Given that etherstubs aren't real Ethernet interfaces and thus cannot be
bridged, that plan may be hard to achieve.  It's also unclear to me what
doing that would buy, except perhaps lower performance.

It should be much easier to create VNICs on top of a chosen Ethernet
interface.