[OpenIndiana-discuss] Namespace management and symlinks in /usr

David Halko davidhalko at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 07:58:52 UTC 2012

(I can't believe I am about to say this...) I would suggest... symlinks for
compatibility could be at the distro level.

When I say that this should be distro level, this should not absolve
Illumos from responsibility in moving things around. If Illumos pulls
things out of their core, they should document it, indicate where it is at,
so a distro can easily pick it up. If Illumos moves things around, then a
distro can easily add symlinks to make it happen.

Honestly, this should be an automatic process... it should not be manual.
Every binary, ".so", etc. with compiler vendor/version should be referenced
in a federated on-line read-only "database" of some kind. A distro could
help to figure out what is needed, update their tree in the database,
Illumos should keep track of where their binaries are, in comparison to a
(nonchanging) base distribution like the final OpenSolaris release.

>From there, people could build maps to all OpenSolaris releases,
other Solaris 10 releases, Solaris 9 releases, newer Solaris 11 releases. A
user could request "Solaris 10 Update 10 Compatibility Kit" and a tar/cpio
of extra directories & symlinks could be created from the federated
directory.

If there are files in /bin, /lib, /etc, these should be for "core" Illumos
binaries which have no upstream... an update from an external source should
never break the core OS (kernel, svcs, zfs, ufs, etc.)

If something has an upstream (GNU software, ksh93, etc.) - perhaps those
files should be off the /usr namespace.

If something is unmaintained and pulled from old Sun code, perhaps those
files should be in a /usr/sunw, /lib/sunw, etc. namespace.

If something is pulled from older SVR4 or older BSD, perhaps those files
should be elsewhere in /usr/s5 and /usr/ucb namespaces, respectively.

If something is absolutely huge, like a third party package repository,
such as  Sunfreeware, UnixPackages, OpenCSW, etc. - they could packages &
prefix in /opt, /var, etc. namespaces, as they do today.

I think that X11 with children like JDS, CDE, Motif, OpenWindows get
complicated, since they have their own frameworks. Since people often like
to run multiple frameworks on a platform, or multiple X11 releases, using
namespaces like X11R6.1, X11R7.0 has a place, with possibly a symlink
pointing from /usr/X11. If they are supported by the Illumos core team,
perhaps it is like /usr/dt /usr/openwin, like it was before under Sun. If
they will no longer be supported by the core team, perhaps a final
compilation & move to /opt?

Doing this, a minimial Illumos distro, which could be embedded, could be
built from /bin, /lib, /var, /etc and stick it on a Linksys Router; add
/usr tree and stick it on USB stick for portable OS; add /opt for
desktops/servers with external package providers.

Just some thoughts... take some of it, take all of it, take none of it at
all...
Thanks - Dave
http://svr4.blogspot.com/