[OpenIndiana-discuss] Archive for unsupported machines

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Thu Oct 18 11:08:38 UTC 2012

Hi,

Does anyone know if firmware updates from devices (in my case SunFire
v20z I've had since the late 90s) are available somewhere? I've been
able to find a lot of archives for the old Sun pages, but the download
links for these packages fail.

I had tried but failed to update this box many years ago and gave up.  I
decided to give it a try again as it doesn't recognize that OI is
running anymore and does an immediate power-down if I tell it to power
off rather than shut things down gracefully.  On the good side, I had a
package saved and upgraded with a more recent bios than the creaky old
one that was there but it's far from the latest.  Also, I've been unable
to upgrade SP from that package.  SP connects to the update server and
goes into the installing phase. Then it reboots SP without downloading
or installing the update.

This kind of information might be useful for others that are running OI
on unsupported Sun boxes. Sorry if this is inappropriate for this list.

Gary