[OpenIndiana-discuss] "OpenIndiana lead Alasdair Lumsden resigns"

Michael Stapleton michael.stapleton at techsologic.com
Sun Sep 2 17:00:51 UTC 2012

That is the right way to do it, but it will be a big challenge.

I have always though it a little crazy that we still store most of the
configuration data of a server on the server.
I don't know what Oracles plans are for Solaris, but bit by bit they are
moving all the service configuration in to SMF. Once this is done, they
could move SMF into LDAP.
The configuration data for all the servers would be centralized and
protected. Servers would just need a local cached copy for boot
strapping.
For applications that do not store configuration in SMF, there could be
some kind of LDAPfs. Configuration files and directories could be
mounted on LDAP.

just me rambling on :-)

Mike