[OpenIndiana-discuss] "OpenIndiana lead Alasdair Lumsden resigns"

Dmitry Kozhinov dima at desktopfay.com
Mon Sep 3 09:58:14 UTC 2012

 > But making OI look well-polished with a fancy and easy to administer
 > web-admin GUI that would encourage the average-Joe to use it as a
 > home-NAS / virtual server is not a bad thing.

It is not have to be fancy, but GUI is absolutely necessary. Well, I am
an average-Joe in UNIX world (development for Windows is another story),
but I am administering a small university web server. I was trying
different kinds of sever operating systems, and all were disappointing
for me for various reasons. Quite quickly I came to OpenSolaris (there
were times of 2008.05 version). It was *love at first boot*. I saw that
marketing phrase later and wondered how apt it is. That "feel" was not
only because of solid performance which inspires confidence, but also
because of GUI. Now I am a happy user of OpenIndiana.

OpenIndiana does not have to compete with OS X or Windows in desktop
market. But it *should* have a decent GUI even for server market. I am
an average-Joe, remember? You want me to use vi and all those tambourine
dances? No, thanks. GUI was once invented to make OS interaction easier.
Ditching it leads us back to medieval ages. This is why e.g. Illumian
distribution was not a success.