[OpenIndiana-discuss] Preliminary Download link: Illumos based MartUX_OpenIndiana_Edition for SPARC LiveDVD (without installer)

Martin Bochnig martin at martux.org
Fri Sep 28 18:23:38 UTC 2012

> So your design uses SVR4 pkgadd instead of IPS?
>
> Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, I really haven't used your
> releases before and am not totally familiar with MartUX or how your system
> works.
>
> If I wanted to download the entirety of openindiana.org's package repos, how
> would you suggest I do it from a Linux host? I'm trying (for shits and
> giggles) to see if I can do a spider-like pull of the pkg.openindiana.org
> IPS repos, and see if I can post it to an S3 bucket, see how much of a bill
> I'd end up with.
>
> I'm most familiar with wget, but I'd be willing to try out curl.

Hi, it is very simple:

At the point when I realized, I would not meet my original self-set
August target, especially due to the problems with IPS (which I always
disliked since its inception), I decided to simply create this Jumbo
LiveDVD and to remove the entire packaging info from the LiveDVD.

Consider it one huge image (if we are talking about an Image packaging system).
It is like a real installation, except that it runs from DVD.
You cannot add software to this DVD, but most basic stuff you would
want to use is already included.
It is 11GB  ...

Especially gcc, Studio12.1, binutils, autotools, m4 and so on and so
on are all included.

Currently there is no working installer included (Caiman's gui-install
is on disk, but still crashes when it wants to print the disks it
found). But after the community decides which packaging system we want
to use, we can debug Caiman slim-install and adopt it.
We can jointly outline the required steps.
Of course it is possible to prepare a disk by hand and tar it over,
run installboot and so on.
Then the SMF repository.db also needs to be modified.

Yes, there are many many aspects that need improvement.
It was mainly a first Demo-preview of openXsun and Illumos-SPARC on LiveDVD.
And of course it is mostly self-hosting. Therefore it allows you the
community to join in and to get started.
The gcc multilib problem is a pity. But at least we have studio and
all the libs and headers.
For gcc3 there is an easy workaround if you want to compile Illumos:
Simply nfs-mount /usr/sfw from another SPARC box running SXCE   :)

I added Illumos-devel to CC, as these notes are important for the
question of self-hosting Illumos on SPARC.
We probably need to take them out again, as soon as the topic changes.

--
rgds.
   %martin bochnig