[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI_151a7 install grumble

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 1 05:08:51 UTC 2013

--- On Thu, 1/31/13, Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc> wrote:

> From: Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.cc>
> Subject: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] OI_151a7 install grumble
> To: "Discussion list for OpenIndiana" <openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org>
> Date: Thursday, January 31, 2013, 8:18 PM
> I know that you have at least (2)
> options.
>
> When doing the zfs send, you can specify the version number
>
> Plan B is to rsync your data
>
> Backup and restore if you have tape.
>
> I am sure there are several others, but this just off the
> top of my head.
>
> There are almost always options.

>From the man page:

"zfs send streams generated from new snapshots of these file systems cannot be accessed on systems running older versions of the software."

There are many ways to accomplish the same task, however, it gets pretty annoying having to stand on ones head while typing.  Especially if you have to type w/ your toes.

In the earlier discussion, someone was saving the zfs send streams in files rather than recv'ing them and was criticized for doing so.  I was observing that in some cases one may not have a choice.  I'd not been paying close attention to the details at the time because I was not yet doing that except for moving things on the same system.

Unfortunately, there's a lot of this that is only half-baked.  Sun's management picked a particularly awkward time to run into the ditch

Reg.