[OpenIndiana-discuss] i7 cpu that accepts ECC Ram

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Fri Feb 1 16:54:29 UTC 2013

On Fri, 1 Feb 2013, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I don't notice any mention of graphics while paging round those sites
> and linked sites.
>
> Do server platforms generally not have graphics or is it just inserted
> into a slot somewhere?  or what?

True server-boards normally have a very low-end video interface (often
Matrox).  Ones designed for workstation use don't have that.  Solaris
works best with Nvidia PCI-e video cards and offers 2D and OpenGL
performance similar to Linux with those cards.  However, there is no
support for other GPU programming environments like CUDA or OpenCL on
Solaris.  I have a Quadro 4000 in my system, and had OpenIndiana
briefly running on another system with a Quadro 2000.  Make sure you
check driver availability while selecting a card.  You need a 4U
chassis with a power-supply configuration intended to support video
cards.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn