[OpenIndiana-discuss] opensolaris.org shutting down next month

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Feb 14 13:23:58 UTC 2013

On 2013-02-14 14:06, Laurent Blume wrote:
> On 14/02/13 13:44, Jim Klimov wrote:
>> Yep, that's an even more interesting question. I guess if the community
>> members took time to copy-paste and inspect (links, formatting) some 5-10
>> pages each, we'd have a Wiki-zed mirror of The Hub in no time ;)
>> @Deirdre (if you read this): Do you know if this is permitted legally?
> <snip>
>
> There might be no easy answer to that question: opensolaris.org has
> always been an aggregate of materials from varied sources, falling under
> different copyrights and licenses.
>
> It shows in the TOU, sections (10) and (11):
>
> http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Main/tou/
>
> So it'd seem that for each page, you need to check what exactly you're
> allowed to do.

Well, according to the TOU, the "Host" is an aggregation of materials
contributed by "Users" and the "Host", and the users by the virtue of
posting their articles have granted a perpetual non-exclusive license
for this content to Host (11), including modification of content (12)
and sub-licensing the rights to others (I guess we can ask to officially
let clone the content - it doesn't hurt to ask, right?).

Section (14) does expressly forbid to use the website's content even to
copy-paste commands into your shell or self-scribbled docs and notes :)

> Except as expressly permitted in these Terms of Use and any applicable
> license, you may not reproduce, modify, or prepare derivative works
> based upon, distribute, sell, transfer, publicly display, publicly
>perform, transmit, or otherwise use the Website, Services, or Content.
>  You may not copy or modify the HTML code used to generate web pages
>  on the Website.

In fact, I failed to find the "expressly permitted" usages in the text
by keywords "may", "permit", "can" or "allow". The rest is implied, as
in "We want you to use this site, but if you use this site in any
manner these terms apply to you" and

All in all, at least the contributed pieces of content are copyrighted
by their authors. If we manage to find them and get consents for each
such article, we seemingly may publish their content not as coming from
the hub, but as given to us by the IP owners.

//Jim