[OpenIndiana-discuss] opensolaris.org shutting down next month

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Feb 14 13:44:10 UTC 2013

Also, I wonder... back in school (a US school) we were taught to
write history and literature essays in a non-plagiatric manner:
you are not allowed to identically replicate (without reference)
someone else's material, but you can read, understand and retell
it in your own words - and then you become an original author
whose point of view corresponds (or perhaps argues) with another
person's. Several social-studies teachers taught this approach.

Assuming that some parts of the Hub are somewhat obsolete, such
retelling of its pages may indeed be needed anyway. And the new
content would be original to be used in a wiki of choice. In order
to avoid such calamities in the future, I guess the illumos/OI
wikis should allow replication and modification of their content
as part of their TOU and license grants :)

Though this still conflicts with Hub's TOU section 14 "you
may not reproduce, modify, or prepare derivative works based
upon" blah-blah...

I wonder if all interested parties are at least allowed to browse
the Hub's sites and leech (i.e. wget mirroring) them for future
personal reference?

PS: I had a slim hope that earlier revisions of the TOU were not
so "draconic", but the same legalese talk stems from the first
revision of the TOU page.

//Jim