[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana roadmap

Roel_D openindiana at out-side.nl
Wed Feb 20 22:53:45 UTC 2013

Funny discussion!! It's like being in the Oracle boardroom around the time they took over Sun.

"Do we close the code?"
"Who will develop?"
"Who can develop?"
"Who will fund it?"
"How to manage the roadmap?"

What we do forget is that installing an OS can take 1 to 180 minutes. But maintaining it and solving all daily problems takes more than a few mouseclicks.
When real knowledge kicks in, costs arise either in time or education.

Creating a payed environment for security updates is what Sun tried with Solaris10. Doing the same now would create a solaris11.2 kind of system.

There are many hurdles at this moment and i just got an offer for a solaris11 anual supportfee, costing about € 300,- .

Kind regards,

The out-side

Op 19 feb. 2013 om 19:28 heeft "DormitionSkete at hotmail.com" <dormitionskete at hotmail.com> het volgende geschreven: