[OpenIndiana-discuss] Finding pools after reinstall

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Jan 1 15:21:37 UTC 2013

On Tue, 1 Jan 2013, Thommy M. Malmström wrote:

> Side track, given the zpool & zfs versions, shall I upgrade? I think
> oi151a5 can get me up to zpool version 28 and zfs version 5...
>
> Which first to upgrade zpool or zfs???

Unless you are requiring a feature (list features with 'zfs upgrade
-v'), there is no need to upgrade filesystem versions.  If you upgrade
the pool, you should upgrade specifically to version 28 (don't just do
an "upgrade") in order to not block interoperability with other zfs
versions, including current Solaris 10, Solaris 11, final OpenSolaris,
FreeBSD 9, zfs on Linux.

If you upgrade rpool, always keep in mind that GRUB needs to be
updated to handle it.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn