[OpenIndiana-discuss] Finding pools after reinstall

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Jan 2 12:27:31 UTC 2013

On 2013-01-01 14:47, Thommy M. Malmström wrote:
> Thanks a lot for all help and a Happy New Year to you all.

You too, and all the best to everyone.

> jock at bigblue:~$ *sudo zpool import -f tank*
> cannot mount '/export/home': directory is not empty

You can avoid this error for "cleanness" by disabling auto-mounting of
tank/home itself, leaving only the mountpoint to be inherited by the
actual homes:

:; zfs set canmount=noauto tank/home
:; zfs set mountpoint=/export/home tank/home # This one you already have

This way it won't conflict with "/export/home" provided by your rpool.

This may matter for example is a failed dataset import would have your
system service (filesystem/local) consider itself failed and thus block
system startup.

> cannot share 'tank/bilder': smb add share failed

I am not sure why this would be - verify that your kernel-CIFS server
is set up properly (MSAD integration if need be, user accounts, PAM,
etc.) Otherwise for the time being disable (clear) the sharesmb
property of the dataset so as to not break auto-startup of your
system, like above.

 > oi151a5 can get me up to zpool version 28 and zfs version 5

As Bob noted, recent OI can give you even higher pool versions, which
would be incompatible to other distros. It is likely that other active
projects (BSD, Linux) will catch up sometime, but the "frozen" ones
(OpenSolaris) or proprietary (Sun/Oracle Solaris releases) likely
won't ever support the post-split features of open-source ZFS as it
may be the corporate self-protection policy to not use code that may
be disputed in court.

So if you don't yet want to lock in to illumos-based distros and
be able to switch to one or another while you're testing, stick to
zpool v28 and zfs v5.

HTH,
//Jim Klimov