[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hi Al: OpenSXCE upload completed 1 minute ago

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 31 00:30:33 UTC 2013

To follow up on Saso's comments.

There's an expression in the US about bacon and eggs for breakfast.

"The chicken in interested, but the pig is committed."

I think it highly likely that Martin is a bit of a basket case right now.  He's pushed through
a major piece of work by himself under difficult circumstances.  The amount of work, attendant isolation and circumstances have inevitably taken quite a toll both on him and anyone around him. As he notes, he severely underestimated the work required.  If he were "sensible" he'd have quit the project and gotten a paying job. And we would not have the results of his efforts.

I'd like to encourage those who have SPARC based systems to test this and help him out.  I can't run it on  my old 1+, but I sent him $50 because I very much like the SPARC and would love to run an OpenSolaris derivative on SPARC some day. While it won't solve all his problems, "The sincerest form of flattery is money."  I'm sure that the tangible acknowledgement of his efforts would matter far more than the actual amount someone sent.

It is inevitable that there are bugs Martin missed.  I'm fighting oi_151a5/7 locking up the Xserver on me.  But I think this is a major milestone. It gets us a major step closer to a multiarchitecture derivative of OpenSolaris.  The second architecture is the hardest.

My main concern after reading the oi-dev list archives today are the conflicts over what to call the branch of Unix derived from OpenSolaris.  I don't care, but it seems some people are quite passionate about it.

Have Fun!
Reg