[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI 151_a7 crashing when trying to import ZFS pool

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 16:17:28 UTC 2013

On 07/ 9/13 01:22 PM, Jim Klimov wrote:
> On 2013-07-08 22:58, CJ Keist wrote:
>> Thank you all for the replies.
>>    I tried OmniOS and Oracle Solaris 11.1 but both were not able to
>> import the data pool. So I have reinstalled OI 151a7 and after importing
>> the data and having it crash, I booted up in single user mode.  At this
>> point I was able to initiate zpool scrub data and it looks to be
>> running!!  I will wait and see if the scrub can finish and then try to
>> remount everything. See attached pic.
>
> That screenshot seems disturbing: with such a large pool you only have
> one device. Is it on hardware RAID which masks away all the disks and
Point of using ZFS is that you do not need to be tighten to your hardware.
Treating all disks as JBOD and letting ZFS handle them is preferred way.

Problem obviously is within that hardware controller.
If ZFS was handling disks (and managing disks pool) it would most
certainly boot like nothing happened.

Some people tend to use both ZFS handling volumes from hardware RAID and
hardware RAID making those volumes out of groups of disks. (to use
benefits of hardware caching etc),
just same could be done with ZFS without being tight to hardware issues,
but eather way ZFS should be presented with multiple disks/volumes, and
making pool out of them, so he can do something clever with he's
included volume management.