[OpenIndiana-discuss] smb server promblem

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Thu Jul 18 17:04:32 UTC 2013

On 2013-07-18 17:40, Brogyányi József wrote:
> Sorry little bit odd for me that few minutes finding time. Under the
> booting time it has to find the smb server. I think this is another
> annoying bug in win.
> Anyway tank you the quick answer.

I think you can recreate an experiment by using a sniffer,
likely on all of the CIFS-related ports (IIRC tcp/udp
135 + 137-139 + 445 -- this is a bit of overkill, with
not all ports being used in all protocols, but it is
relatively easy to set up a catch-all sniffer rule).

Now that you say that after some time things become seen,
I can guess that the CIFS server sends out NMB announcements
as broadcasts every several seconds (30? 60? more?) and
that's what lets "Computer browser" client to detect the
server in its neighborhood. Likely, if your kCIFS server
started first and the Win7 client initialized later, there
is a gap between announcements when the client does not
know about the server. Restarting the server sends these
announcements, so the server would be seen in the network
neighborhood instantly.

Direct accesses to the named server and shares probably
causes the client to either solicit the server name (like
"plz send me your IP") or use your client's local naming
service which knows the name, or the explicit IP number
that you've provided, to access the server/share more
quickly.

This is my guess, you can verify with a sniffer to see
how far off I am... would be fun :)

//Jim