[OpenIndiana-discuss] Xvnc in a zone

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Sun Mar 24 22:25:41 UTC 2013

On 2013-03-24 22:18, Hans J. Albertsson wrote:
> The optimum solution is for me not to have to zlogin or ssh into the
> zone and start vncserver, but be able to login remotely into the zone
> from anywhere within a trusted lan.
>
> So I'd like to try to get that working nicely, just as I have Xvnc
> working well for remote login to the global zone of my non-SRSS servers.

Well, you can always start a VNC server as an SMF service or
via a legacy init-script along with the local zone. This does
not have to be related to GDM at all.

Our TightVNC builds start the VNC Xserver, and as part of its
own xstartup script it launches a window manager (twm) and
several windows if we so wish (terminals with dmesg data for
monitoring, a terminal with "top", etc.)

The Xserver runs as a particular user (root or otherwise) and
there is no interactive login to take care of, beside the VNC
session password. VNC can be run on a localhost so that access
can be secured by SSH tunneling, and AFAIK there are clients
which are integrated with SSH for this purpose - to simplify.

So while I might guess a couple of places in the stack where
GDM comes into picture, it is really not required in general.

//Jim