[OpenIndiana-discuss] Offtopic question to old SPARC users

Hugh McIntyre lists at mcintyreweb.com
Sun Nov 24 06:37:06 UTC 2013

The crystal oscillator may or may not be OK, but low voltage can still
cause the surrounding logic in the NVRAM chip to malfunction, or an IO
signal from low to high voltage to be interpreted as the wrong logic
level.  Remember -- the claimed problem is not that the clock is slow
but that the time is stuck.

I can't help with the NVRAM on old systems, but FWIW an x86 system I
used to have here at home would randomly change clock times when running
by numbers of hours/minutes/days/years while running, for example
changing the month and year but keeping the rest of the date fields
constant, even when running NTP.  So there's definitely a possibility
for the clock to get messed up when the system is running, unless my
issue was an x86-only thing.

If the NVRAM is busted, then presumably boot after minutes or hours of
power off won't keep proper time.  And on the other hand, if the system
survives being powered off for a while, the hardware clock may be OK.

Hugh.