[OpenIndiana-discuss] Low low end server

John Ryan john.ryan at bsse.ethz.ch
Sun Feb 9 18:46:00 UTC 2014

On 9/02/2014 2:37 PM, Brogyányi József wrote:
> Volker
>
> I'd like to give you some suggestions.
> First the "zpool list -v" is useless code if you want to know the free
> space. You try this:zfs list. You can see the real space on your server.
I assume your experience is with raidz configurations, where a raidz1
made of 4 x 3Tbyte disks would show around 10.9Tb.
I don't know the reason for this, but it is well known that the |zpool|
command counts the disks that are being used for redundancy as space,
while the |zfs| command does not.
However, mirrored configurations report the usable size correctly, so
5.44Tb is the correct size here.
> Another useless thing is when you sliced your SSD and put on
> rpool,cache,log.
> If you want to increase your performance use standalone SSD for log
> and another for cache.
What is your reasoning for this?
If the rpool is not being accessed very often, why not share the disk's
resource? - SSDs are excellent for random I/O.
I have the same setup as this on several machines, and the performance
is fine. I also need to do it because I don't have spare slots.