[OpenIndiana-discuss] Low low end server

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Sun Feb 9 21:12:57 UTC 2014

Hi József!

> I'd like to give you some suggestions.

Thank you!

> First the "zpool list -v" is
> useless code if you want to know the free space.

I know.  I wanted to show the structure of the pools and the layout
of the vdevs.

> Another useless
> thing is when you sliced your SSD and put on rpool,cache,log.

I disagree.  See below.

> If
> you want to increase your performance use standalone SSD for log and
> another for cache.

But there is no extra SATA connector, so I can only use one SSD.

> My experience is about rpool not sensitive for
> the drive speed.

This is not always true.  Obviously, it depends on the I/O operations
you have on the disks.  Note that the cache is not only for rpool...

> I use a very slow disk for rpool and I've not
> notice any server performance decrease.  But I have to say the
> booting time is slow and when I want to login that is not very
> comfortable.

Yes, that is why I use an SSD.  Boot time is nice and short, and
the system feels quick when I log in and run things on the command
line.

> These was a beginner experiences.

We were all beginners at some time. :-)

Best regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt               Consulting and Support for Oracle Solaris
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"