[OpenIndiana-discuss] hipster developer edition

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Tue Mar 11 19:31:25 UTC 2014

Hello.

Jim Klimov писал 05.03.2014 15:03:
> Hello all,
>
>   I wonder if anyone has notes prepared for what it takes to turn
> an OI (Hipster) basic installation from a fresh Live Media into a
> workstation to develop and compile the illumos-gate and userland
> software? And taking it a step further, if it would make sense to
> prepare compilation-ready LiveDVDs or VM images which already
> include all the needed compilers, headers and other packages,
> and perhaps the dedicated build zone.

Adam created http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Hipster section, including
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+with+oi-userland .
Ideally, you just have to pkg install build-essential to get a  build
machine.
However, to compile the whole oi-userland it's likely that you need 'pkg
install pkg:/*'.
I like the idea to create prepared build environment.
To compile illumos you can use components/illumos/illumos-gate.
Just gmake update, apply your patches and gmake publish.
However, if you'd like to RTI your changes, it seems reading the whole
http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/How+To+Contribute is necessary.

>   On a side note, are any IDE's particularly popular to simplify
> the coding and debugging, or do people prefer simple editors like
> mcedit, vi, nano, and command-line gmake, gdb, mdb invokations?

I prefer vim, gmake, shell and gdb. Don't know about IDEs used for
illumos/OI development,
I think "your favorite" should work (for example, I used NetBeans for
Java and C
development earlier).

>   Does this sound feasible - to produce such environments while
> rolling out an updated ISO of Hipster for example?

I think it's a good idea - to create such VM. ISO usage requires a bit
more familiarity with OI and I think that Virtual Box image would be
more useful here.
Once upon a time there was SXDE :) But I don't think that DVD image
which automatically installs required software would solve this problem.
To use it you should be already familiar with OS.
---