[OpenIndiana-discuss] Recovering from power loss on USB ZFS pool?

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 22:06:42 UTC 2014

On 27 March 2014 21:30, Laurent Blume <laurent+oi at elanor.org> wrote:

> Le 2014/03/27 22:23 +0100, Jonathan Adams a écrit:
>
> The zfs code in illumos should be the same (or close) to the one ins ZFS
> for Linux, so they should be pretty compatible, and stay that way (unlike,
> of course, with the Solaris flavour).

The Current Ubuntu ZFS driver (in the repository) is one step behind the
hipster variant, I cannot currently mount my hipster partition when I've
booted Ubuntu on the same computer ...

> So most of the improvement should come from the superior USB support in
> Linux.

Indeed it does, superior is a strange way of putting it, but that is how it
appears to be ...

> Another thing I do like much in ZoL is the ability to update it
> independently from the kernel.

It is good, but I have do have issues occasionally (tending towards
usually) where it compile the SPL after the ZFS, which causes the ZFS to
fail until I reinstall it after a reboot.

With the ZFS in the kernel, it does allow me to have a ZFS boot partition,
which I couldn't trust on an Ubuntu installation.

Jon