[OpenIndiana-discuss] Where Do I Get Source To Pic?

Andrew Gabriel illumos at cucumber.demon.co.uk
Sat Nov 8 18:30:47 UTC 2014

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
> Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>> On 11/ 7/14 08:58 AM, jay at m5.chicago.il.us wrote:
>>>
>>> I need to obtain source to pic, because my Schillix system does not
>>> have it.  http://src.illumos.org/source/xref/illumos-gate/usr/src/cmd/
>>> does not have a pic subdirectory.  It has eqn and tbl, and of course
>>> troff, but no pic.  Where do I get source to pic?  Thank you in
>>> advance for any and all replies.
>>
>> https://gnu.org/software/groff/
>>
>> Solaris never included pic in it's nroff packages.
>
> The Solaris nroff/troff come from AT&T Documentors Workbench version 2
> (which also included pic and grap).
> The groff equivalents (at least for nroff and troff) have never been
> completely compatible.
>
> If you want the AT&T Documentors Workbench source, the last version
> was opensourced as part of Plan 9.
> Some of the utilities (I forget which) had been converted to Plan 9's
> stdio replacement, but converting back to use Unix stdio is not
> difficult.
>
> BTW, the omission of pic from Solaris was a long standing accidental
> oversight - there was a Sun bugid to fix it, but it never got fixed.
> The Sun documentation team used pic internally in the early days.

I looked around a bit further, and found that AT&T have opensourced
their last unix system V version:

http://www2.research.att.com/~astopen/cgi-bin/download.cgi?action=intro
and select dwb

This is version 3.3, which is significantly newer than the version
Solaris has.
In addition to pic, I note it also includes batch mode picasso, which is
an equivalent for pic, but directly produces postscript output.
(There was also a GUI mode picasso, but that's not included - I suspect
it might have only worked with Openlook.)

--
Andrew Gabriel