[OpenIndiana-discuss] Newer versions of Firefox - WAS::::Re: Firefox 31

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 14:31:36 UTC 2015

On Wed, Aug 12, 2015 at 5:37 AM, Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us> wrote:

> I was reviewing some technical news site and saw that there was a new
> version of Firefox out, 39.x something, to address some big security hole.
>
> I have been stuck on Firefox 25 for some time now, having been bitten by
> the "Firefox won't save downloaded files" issue, and had somewhat stopped
> trying new versions to address the issue around Firefox 29.x.
>
> Anyway, we always used to have pretty consistent new builds in the contrib
> area on the mozilla site, I believe that they were typically compiled by
> someone within Oracle, in Asia, but that really isn't important.
>
> Anyway, I went out to mozilla.org to see what was currently available,
> and the newest thing I can find is
>
> Firefox 31.8.0 esr
>
> Is that really the newest version of Firefox available to us?

Afraid so.

> Or have downloads been moved to somewhere else?

It really is the case that if people want software to run on the platform of
their choosing, they're going to have to roll up their sleeves and work on
porting it.

There are, of course, a few of us working away at getting key applications
built, but something like FF is decidedly non-trivial. It's on my list, for
sure,
but it's looking like a huge amount of effort (probably more than
LibreOffice)
and I have to prioritise my time - other things are more important and/or
interesting to me right now. The more people who have a go, and work out
how to get past a block in the build, the easier it gets for everyone else,
so
I encourage more people to step up - doesn't have to be Firefox, there are
plenty of other applications out there that could use some love.

--
-Peter Tribble