[OpenIndiana-discuss] Newer versions of Firefox -- What About Chrome?

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Mon Aug 24 06:23:01 UTC 2015

Hello.

jay at m5.chicago.il.us писал 24.08.2015 04:43:
> ken mays <maybird1776 at yahoo.com> wrote on Thu, 13 Aug 2015 11:14:15
> +0000 (UTC):
>

> I am running Solaris 11.2 on one of my computers, the latest version
> of Solaris available for download from Oracle (at least, as of a month
> ago, when I downloaded and installed it).  It comes with Firefox ESR
> 17.0.11.  As far as I can tell, it works fine, I am completely
> satisfied with it.  Why is it important to get Firefox 40.0 (this is
> not a rhetorical question, I want to know)?  What I would really like
> to get -- not as a replacement for Firefox, but to supplement it -- is
> Chrome.  How come I never see anyone discussing porting Chrome?  It
> is, after all, an open-source product.  Hasn't anyone else been
> interested in getting Chrome working on OpenSolaris-derived systems?

I think that updating Firefox to more or less fresh version is much
easier,
as there are at least Oracle patches and pkgsrc work.
As for porting Chromium, I'd estimate it would be a good thing to do,
but I fear we just lack men skilful and motivated enough to do it
(briefly: it's unreal).

> And, speaking of OpenSXCE (from which one can apparently obtain a
> working version of Firefox 37) -- there was a huge amount of
> discussion on this mailing list a while back about OpenSXCE.  I do not
> want to re-awaken those sleeping threads, I truly do not want to read
> any more postings about whether the man who gave us OpenSXCE is
> irredeemably and irretrievably antisocial, or whether it is moral to
> donate money to someone whose political sympathies lie with people who
> blow up schoolbuses.

I'd say these kinds of jokes are insulting. It's better to stop it.

> I just have one question, which is, why do
> people care so much?  As far as I can tell, OpenSXCE is a
> closed-source OS, is it not?

I remember, there were talks about some sources, but in fact yes, it's
closed source.

> Just because it has Firefox version 37?  Is Firefox version
> 37 really so much better than Firefox 17.0.11?

At least it has a ton of security fixes which we miss. And yes, a lot of
sites already require newer FF version.

---