[OpenIndiana-discuss] The mailing list is dead

Reginald Beardsley pulaskite at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 13 17:04:50 UTC 2015

At the '95 Usenix conference I made the comment to someone that usenet
was dying and would have to be replaced by mailing lists.  They
responded that it had already started.  Now the mailing list is dying.

I asked a simple question about the effect of eliminating head
latencies in a 5 level memory hierarchy on OI.  I posed the question more
simply because I didn't want to trigger the nonsense that chest
thumping questions generate.  Instead I commented about interleaving
swap on 4.x as a hint it was not a naive question.  If you'd measured
it I was interested.  If not, there really wasn't any point in replying.
Contrary to what many imagine not everyone has or needs the same
system configuration.

It used to be that polite practice was "Email please, will summarize
for the list."  Now I'm told that etiquette demands that each individual
post be replied to separately so that it won't interfere with the
operation of threading posts.

Until I retired I used the old Sun mail program and politely refused
to accept mail that was not pure ASCII text.  I was told when I
terminated my contract at Chevron that I had the last Sun desktop
in the company.  The only reason I had not been forced onto Linux was
that I was a contracter.

This email account was a throwaway created for on-line dating.  When
I retired it was clear that spinning up sendmail again was not really
going to worth the trouble, so I continued to use the account despite
having abandoned on-line dating and pointed my old acm.org address
to it.  If someone can point to a simple alternative to web mail that
approximates Sun mail(1) I would be grateful.  I have had far too much
effort erased without warning by the combination of Mozilla & Yahoo.

Because of the severe memory leak issues with Firefox on OI, I shall
likely reimage this system to *BSD.  My main system is offline and will
continue to run the last Sun release of S10 like God intended.  If and
when OI becomes more viable as an internet access host I might give it
a try again.

After this post clears the mail reflector I shall be unsubscribing, so
if you wish to contact me please do so directly.

In closing, best wishes to Alan, Andrew, Ian and the rest of the old
Sun usenet crowd.  I always read what you had to say even when I was
not reading the rest of the thread.

Have Fun!
Reg