[OpenIndiana-discuss] The mailing list is dead

David Brodbeck brodbd at uw.edu
Tue Dec 15 22:37:27 UTC 2015

On Sun, Dec 13, 2015 at 10:01 AM, Nikola M <minikola at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think that having your own mail server/domain these days it dirty cheap
> and everyone should have one :D

It's cheap in terms of money but costs a LOT of time.

In a previous job I managed a mail server and I probably spent a third of
my working hours just dealing with tuning spam filters and trying to keep
the system usable and secure under the deluge of spam and abuse.

I also used to run my own home email server, but I found it ate way too
much of my free time; also, IMAP isn't really a good solution when you have
three or four different devices, and none of the open-source web UIs worked
well for me.

Even the central IT department where I work has come to the same conclusion
-- they no longer run their own email servers, but contract out to Google
and Microsoft for it.