[OpenIndiana-discuss] The mailing list is dead

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Tue Dec 15 22:49:08 UTC 2015

On Tue, 15 Dec 2015, David Brodbeck wrote:

> I also used to run my own home email server, but I found it ate way too
> much of my free time; also, IMAP isn't really a good solution when you have
> three or four different devices, and none of the open-source web UIs worked
> well for me.

Does IMAP with a modern IMAP server like Dovecot work better with
multiple devices?

What you describe is definitely the case for the original University
of Washington IMAP server (which I am still using).  Actually, this
server works ok with Pine/Alpine as a client (only one connection
allowed at once) but there was an all-out war between Thunderbird and
Apple iPad email.

> Even the central IT department where I work has come to the same conclusion
> -- they no longer run their own email servers, but contract out to Google
> and Microsoft for it.

Google and Microsoft data-mine the emails for their own benefit.  I am
a independent sort of person so I prefer to mine my own emails.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn