[OpenIndiana-discuss] oi or hipster for ultra5?

Peter Tribble peter.tribble at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 21:14:54 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 12:58 AM, Jacob Ritorto <jacob.ritorto at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Wow.  I just put OpenBSD on this thing and it runs like a pup.  I'm really
> impressed.  Is anyone besides Peter working on cruft-cutting and minimal
> system distribution of Illumos?  If things can be this awesome on 1998
> hardware, we really should aspire to this level of KISS, tidiness and
> performance in Illumos.

Garrett's cutting away in illumos-core, but the snag there is that you run
across the problem I mentioned in a recent talk - one person's trash is
another one's treasure. So I'm not sure hacking bits out of illumos
is necessarily the way; certainly in Tribblix I just use packaging to
selectively ship certain components and ignore others.

For regular distros there are a couple of major resource constraints:
ZFS has a certain footprint. (Although it's somewhat overstated - I've
run zfs based systems that have 512M of memory quite happily. Not
as file servers, of course.) If you have IPS for packaging then your
minimum memory requirement is going to be much higher.

If you want to get really minimalist then you could use ufs rather
than zfs. This also saves the space needed for the drivers and tools,
which isn't negligible. Tribblix again is one of the only distros to
support installation to a ufs file system, although it's been a while
since I tested it.

There's a slight difference in emphasis in the Solarish world. Because
we've been into containerization for so long, you have the model where
a larger instance runs many lightweight containers, rather than running
many standalone instances; in this world there isn't the same drive
to reduce the host footprint. So I guess it hasn't had a lot of attention.

> On Sun, Feb 1, 2015 at 7:49 PM, Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us>
> wrote:

> >> snv_65 is an early development build of Solaris 11 - actually more like
> >> Solaris
> >> 10 than even the earliest Solaris 11 releases.
> >>

> > yep.  Missed that part, and saw it less than 10 minutes after hitting the
> > send button.   Sun OpenSolaris Nevada build 65.
> >
> > But I still stick by my comments concerning the system RAM.  If the OP is
> > committed to this box, now is probably a great time to max out the
> memory.
> > Especially if he wants to move forward beyond OpenSolaris Nevada build
> 65.
> >
> > Jerry

-Peter Tribble