[OpenIndiana-discuss] oi or hipster for ultra5?

Jacob Ritorto jacob.ritorto at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 22:33:34 UTC 2015

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Peter Tribble <peter.tribble at gmail.com>
wrote:

> If you want to get really minimalist then you could use ufs rather
> than zfs. This also saves the space needed for the drivers and tools,
> which isn't negligible. Tribblix again is one of the only distros to
> support installation to a ufs file system, although it's been a while
> since I tested it.
>
> I'd be interested in helping out with this, if you're motivated enough to
include it on your distro.  Let's talk off-list.

> There's a slight difference in emphasis in the Solarish world. Because
> we've been into containerization for so long, you have the model where
> a larger instance runs many lightweight containers, rather than running
> many standalone instances; in this world there isn't the same drive
> to reduce the host footprint. So I guess it hasn't had a lot of attention.

Very true point.  Maybe, in all honestly, I guess I just really miss having
a good unix workstation as my daily driver.  I got relocated from OI to
Macintosh rather forcefully at last job and was just never terribly
'comfortable,' so to speak, since then.

-j