[OpenIndiana-discuss] Hipster upgrade problem

Thomas Wagner tom-oi-discuss at tom.bn-ulm.de
Sun Nov 15 16:01:25 UTC 2015

Some comments on upgrades. Some comments on maintaining projects.

_if_ you change the OS-distribution, it is indeed recommended
to *uninstall* the 3rd-party packages before upgrade attempt.
IPS is pedantic for a good reason.

That means, you can't expect 3rd-party packages to fit
into a different, new OS-distribution.

For packages from http://sfe.opencsw.org, you will see that every major
OS distrobution has it's own IPS repository matching the OS.

>  As I see, you has sfe packages installed. First of all, I'd create new BE to
>  experiment with,
>  uninstalled all SFE packages, updated it to Hipster and added
>  http://sfe.opencsw.org/localhostoih/en/index.shtml
>  repository for SFE packages.
>
>  Perl 5.10 was removed, but packages from old SFE repository still depend on
>  it, so you can't update.

Agreed.
It is recommended to...
 * beadm create a backup-bootenvironment  (your insurance)
 * save list of all installed 3rd-party packageds
   pkg list | egrep "sfe|localhost" > USERHOME/my-old-sfe-packages

 * make an extra backup of the 3rd-party packages config files (really!)
   (e.g. /etc/ or where else config is stored)

 * uninstall all 3rd-party-packages before the OS upgrade.
 * remove the old SFE publisher

Do the major OS distribution upgrade

After the upgrade:
 * re-add the *new* SFE publisher for the *new* OS distribution
 * install those 3rd party packages you still want to run
 * restore the configuration for the 3rd party packages

In an optimal world with lots of paid supporters, the OS distribution
and 3rd party Package repositories would be synchronized. They would
contain a complete set of automatic "renamed-to" and "obsolete"
meta-packages which allow seamless upgrades.

But you know, not a single one of all the maintainers are paid for the
OpenIndiana and SFE projects.

I believe all the maintainers are still paid, but in a non-monetary
currency. They see you are using their work and have fun or profit of it.

And the biggest success for maintainers might be, seeing users turn
into mainainers and help getting the project forward. This includes
programmers/hackers as well as users writing documentaion or do community
or public relations! (blogging, presentatations, usergroups)

Regards,
@tomww