[OpenIndiana-discuss] /hipster: latest kernel updates cause crash when vbox guest is started

Predrag Zečević - Unix Systems Administrator predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com
Mon Apr 18 08:04:26 UTC 2016

On 04/18/16 09:54 AM, Nikola M wrote:
> On 04/18/16 08:32 AM, Predrag Zečević - Unix Systems Administrator wrote:
>> Is it "vboxuser" or "vboxusers"?
>
> Yes, vboxuser
>

>> Anyway, tried everything I could think of, and nothing works...
>>
>> To me, it looks like some driver was changed/upgraded and that causes
>> problem. And I am not sure how to trace that down...
>
> I reported using same illumos timestamp with no issues at the moment,
> but truly with the other hardware then yours.
> Do you actually use benefits of VirtualBox proprietary extension and can
> you try without having it installed. (Make new BE out of working, boot
> from new BE, disable extension, update)
Well, using extensions heavily, especially for Win guest...

> You could try disabling some of drivers that are non-essential and try
> over.
Is it possible that some changes in kernel detect on-board network,
graphic (or both) cards improperly?

> What are VBox machine settings

ALL VMs are failing (both Win and Linux).

> It is valuable to see what is actually going on, because running on
> newer hardware truly is more valuable for the future then the old
> hardware I run on..
Sure.

> If at the moment VBox is working right on one OI's BE, VBox stays the
> same and you try getting just illumos is updated, that is where to find
> the problem as you suggested.
Yes.

> Feel free to come to irc.Freenode.net, #openindiana and #oi-dev and
> #illumos IRC channels so we can interactively discuss, pastebin/bpaste
> and try to see what could be done for your install.

I prefer ticket... Would be OK to open ticket?
I would like to avoid situation like in this one:
https://www.illumos.org/issues/5873

Best regards.

Predrag Zečević
Technical Support Analyst
2e Systems GmbH

Telephone: +49 6196 9505 815, Facsimile: +49 6196 9505 894
Mobile:    +49  174 3109 288,     Skype: predrag.zecevic
E-mail:    predrag.zecevic at 2e-systems.com

Headquarter:          2e Systems GmbH, Königsteiner Str. 87,
                       65812 Bad Soden am Taunus, Germany
Company registration: Amtsgericht Königstein (Germany), HRB 7303
Managing director:    Phil Douglas

http://www.2e-systems.com/ - Making your business fly!