[OpenIndiana-discuss] HEADS UP: fuse, libfuse and ntfs-3g available in hipster

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 05:38:36 UTC 2016

On 04/28/16 01:36 AM, Adam Števko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> few minutes ago I merged ntfs-3g into oi-userland hipster repository. Once, the package is built it will be available in the IPS repository. Tha package can be installed via
>
> pkg install system/file-system/ntfsprogs
>
> I would like people to give it a wider testing and report any bugs. I tried it out and it worked so far.
>
> I would like to thank Jean Pierre for supporting ntfs-3g on OpenIndiana!

It is true that widest testing (and bug reporting) is done by all people
who have hipster installed, but it is not a testing phase before
releasing per se, but more as wide audience call for use and report
bugs, once testing is done.

I suggest to announce testing requests on 'oi-dev' mailing list as it is
done thus far, and for per-package testing, to state the exact full
version number in testing request (not just it's name in IPS publisher) ,
It is procedure used so far to test exact versions of important
packages, applied to current state of hipster.
There is an Wiki page available, that explains how to test by using
per-package mirror,
(having clone of your existing Boot Environment before testing)
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Testing+packages+by+using+local+per-package+mirror
but it is usable only if having separate IPS publisher where package
needeing testing resides before inclusion.

Testing is usually done before merge in hipster, by at least someone
beside one.
So one wanting testing, have to put it's packages somewhere in he's own
trusted public IPS publisher, accessible from outside world, so people
could actually test before inclusion in hipster.
In the future those public IPS testing packages publishers, could be
hosted on OI's infrastructure and also built on OI's servers to be sure
building of binaries is transparent and positively doesn't include
unknown unknowns in binaries.

Note for new contributors:
Anyone interested in Hipster's build process progress and including
itself in it, by  adding more packages and maintenance can go to:
http://hipster.openindiana.org:8080/ ,
https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/
Building your own software inside the build zone:
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+in+zones