[OpenIndiana-discuss] The latest version of OpenSSL and gcc installation

Till Wegmüller toasterson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 12:59:30 UTC 2016

Hi Sakuma

On 09.08.2016 14:33, Sakuma, Koshiro wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just finished installation of OpenIndiana.  The version is SunOS xxx
> 5.11 illumos-f83b46b i86pc i386 i86pc.

Welcome to the community.

> After this, I checked with OpenSSL version, but it is 1.0.2g.  Now, we
> should upgrade to 1.0.2h which is the latest one.
> I can see the latest one when I typed the command like pkg info -r
> openssl.  How can I update this anyway?
> The command should be like pkg update openssl?  I tried to do this, but the
> message I got was like "there is no image" or something like this.

pkg update updates the whole system. There is AFAIK no way to just one
package. We also have a aproach to updating that differs from other
OSes. We have so called boot environments. Everytime you update the
system you infact clone the runing boot environment and update that. You
never update the running system. This makes updates atomic and adds the
ability to roll back in case of problems. have a look at bootadm manpage
if you want to know more.

> One more thing, I don't find "gcc" on my system.  I would like to install
> gcc4.x.x version.  Actually, the repository is indicating to
> http://pkg.openindiana.org/dev openindiana.org. How can I find the gcc-4
> version and how can I install?
GCC and other development tools are available via build-essential.
However /dev does not seem to have those available.

You are not running the newest version of OI. Due to resource shortage
the newest version, called /hipster, is rolling release. /dev is the
last non rolling release version.

If you want to upgrade from /dev to /hipster have a look in this wiki page.
https://wiki.openindiana.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=30802657

If you have more question feel free to ask.

Greetings
Till