[OpenIndiana-discuss] updating/modifying gnome-terminal title from the command line?

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Thu Aug 18 21:57:33 UTC 2016

I spend a good part of my life at a shell prompt in a Gnome terminal.

I frequently have a lot of tab's open, and it is helpful for me to set the title
for each tab to some unique setting.

I fired up duckduckgo, and after some searches, I came up with this, as a way to
set the tab title from the command line:

/bin/echo -n "\033]2;your-tab-title-here\007"

This works, but is a little cumbersome.

Wondering if there is some more elegant and/or more official way to set the
title from the command line?  Yes, I know I can set the title by using the
rodent and

Terminal->set title

and I'm not asking about that.

Specifically, I'm wondering if there are other/better methods to set the title
from the shell prompt aside from the method shown above.  If it is in the man
page, I'm missing it.

Thank you,

Jerry