[OpenIndiana-discuss] How many versions of libs/apps should OI provide?

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Thu Dec 22 19:26:11 UTC 2016

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] How many versions of libs/apps...:

>  When backporting as RedHat/CentOS does, we don't know what is
> backported or not. It waste a lot of time and nobody know what is really
> backported inside RHEL 6.8 bind 9.8.8rc1 ...

I'm not advocating that hipster take the backport approach, but your
statement isn't correct.  With a tiny bit of work, you know *exactly*
what has been backported by Red Hat.  All of their packages are generated
from source RPMs, and every source RPM has every patch that has been
applied.  CentOS and other RHEL derivatives wouldn't exist if that
weren't true.

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)