[OpenIndiana-discuss] Testing updates from /dev to /hipster-2015 and /hipster

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Tue May 10 06:50:02 UTC 2016

On 05/10/16 12:13 AM, bentahyr at chez.com wrote:
> But the latest fails due to a bunch of pkg list |grep '0\.151\.1\.' packages.
>
> So it is not possible right now to update directly from /dev to /hipster

Thanks very much Ben!
See if you can stay inside ML thread with a reply, with no new thread
(new thread helps atm, but got to say ;P)
I actually don't expect for /hipster as a moving target to be updatable
from old_/dev , now nor in the future, for it's (thankfully) dynamic
nature it should be expected and changes accumulating as we speak.
So we need anchor releases to and what this testing is all about.

So with first reports
(and it is taking too long already, since first report from Woody/alp
was months ago,
http://openindiana.org/pipermail/oi-dev/2015-October/003823.html ) ,
we have positive responses in updating from /dev to hipster-2015.

I propose next step would be to install all packages in /dev, and see
what can be updated to /hipster-2015. so to catch any application update
problems, not commonly installed on fresh install, with
Compiling workarounds (like package removals before update then
reinstall or configs transitions).
For this step,  we still don't need any infrastructure.

After that I propose making a new publisher called /dev-test , populated
with packages from hipster-2015 then updated to OI hipster 20160421
snapshot state
and start  old_/dev to /dev-test update testing.

When we have more (if any) bug reports for both hipster-2015 update and
20160421 update and a list of changes (and/or manuals) that need to be
made for update to work,
It could then require infrastructure for building separate from hipster,
but fully identical that would allow changes to facilitate update to
land in /hipster and /dev-test
At that time we would suppose to have working packagemenager GUI ,
updatemenager added and 151a branded zone.
Then it would be landing in /dev as a new /dev release

As part of the process /hipster will accept results of update testing as
part of bug fixing process, including temporary package removal for not
fulfilling quality standards
It would allow supporting OI use in production while all contributions
to go to /hipster.
And contributions to /hipster will allow new releases of /dev :)
Testing with updates from one snapshot to another would result in
bringing up the quality.
Snapshots and landings in /dev would become more frequent and more bugs
would be found and fixed in the process, therefore pumping up OI quality
while in the process providing support for wider audience and therefore
increasing in OI use, that requires releases with high quality standards.

Please test as much packages in installed in old /dev to see how update
works with as many packages as possible, to be able to go to the next
step with /dev-test repo.