[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sun Ray server, OS and VDI patches were released by Oracle last week.

Jerry Kemp sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us
Mon Nov 7 09:07:40 UTC 2016

Yep, the filibeto.org mailing list.

The last post that I have was from 24 September 2015.

I need to qualify my comment.  AFAIK, there was no official end that was posted
that I was aware of.

At some point, shortly after Oracle announced that they would be discontinuing
the SunRay line, all activity from the mailing list dried up, and, then a short
period after that, the associated web site http://www.sun-rays.org/

dropped off of the Internet.

Reviewing the Wayback Machine archives, the last crawl of the web site was here:

<http://web.archive.org/web/20140107163537/http://sun-rays.org/>

Although I believe that the web site was online at least into 2015.

I have mixed feelings about the list.  The software generally both installed and
worked pretty well on Solaris.  The stuff I really enjoyed from the list was
that Sun->Oracle engineers & developers were on the list and shared tips and tricks.

At some point, the SRSS software had been ported to lunix, and was very unstable
on that platform.  At least, that is how it appeared to me.  I never attempted
to run SRSS on lunix.  But, the whole mood of the list changed after the port.
At least from my perspective (and you know what that's worth :) ), the whole
mood of the list changed, and now the list was all about trying to resolve and
run SRSS on the new platform.  Slim to almost no Solaris based content.

I was tempted many time to suggest that the list split into two, one for each
operating system, but didn't.  IMHO, the SunRay was a great thin client
platform, and I personally own 6, although I only have one (2FS) in use right
now.  I would like to grab one of the Oracle 3+'s at some point in the future,
should one cross my path at the right price.

Thanks again for sharing updates on this product.

Jerry