[OpenIndiana-discuss] Sun Ray server, OS and VDI patches were released by Oracle last week.

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 10:02:31 UTC 2016

On 7 November 2016 at 09:07, Jerry Kemp <sun.mail.list47 at oryx.us> wrote:

> Yep, the filibeto.org mailing list.
>
> The last post that I have was from 24 September 2015.
>
> I need to qualify my comment.  AFAIK, there was no official end that was
> posted that I was aware of.
>
> At some point, shortly after Oracle announced that they would be
> discontinuing the SunRay line, all activity from the mailing list dried up,
> and, then a short period after that, the associated web site
> http://www.sun-rays.org/
>
> dropped off of the Internet.
>
> Reviewing the Wayback Machine archives, the last crawl of the web site was
> here:
>
> <http://web.archive.org/web/20140107163537/http://sun-rays.org/>
>
> Although I believe that the web site was online at least into 2015.
>
> I have mixed feelings about the list.  The software generally both
> installed and worked pretty well on Solaris.  The stuff I really enjoyed
> from the list was that Sun->Oracle engineers & developers were on the list
> and shared tips and tricks.
>
> At some point, the SRSS software had been ported to lunix, and was very
> unstable on that platform.  At least, that is how it appeared to me.  I
> never attempted to run SRSS on lunix.  But, the whole mood of the list
> changed after the port. At least from my perspective (and you know what
> that's worth :) ), the whole mood of the list changed, and now the list was
> all about trying to resolve and run SRSS on the new platform.  Slim to
> almost no Solaris based content.
>
> I was tempted many time to suggest that the list split into two, one for
> each operating system, but didn't.  IMHO, the SunRay was a great thin
> client platform, and I personally own 6, although I only have one (2FS) in
> use right now.  I would like to grab one of the Oracle 3+'s at some point
> in the future, should one cross my path at the right price.
>
> Thanks again for sharing updates on this product.
>

> Jerry
>
> we run SunRays on Centos here now, as we were running it on Solaris 10 u8
for ages, and needed a modern wine ...

[root at mansalray02 ~]# more /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 6.7 (Final)
[root at mansalray02 ~]# more /etc/lsb-release
LSB_VERSION=base-4.0-amd64:base-4.0-noarch:core-4.0-amd64:core-4.0-noarch:graphi
cs-4.0-amd64:graphics-4.0-noarch:printing-4.0-amd64:printing-4.0-noarch

there are issues with it, and almost all linuxy applications work okay ...
we have issues with google-chrome, in that it starts up and runs okay, but
doesn't close properly.  There were issues with installing vnc and rdesktop
from packages, so we had to install them from source. we had to disable a
few daemons that kept using up a lot of cpu ... but the rest works a charm.

Still miss the Solaris, but the users don't

Jon