[OpenIndiana-discuss] local zones and local users

Maurilio Longo maurilio.longo at libero.it
Mon Nov 7 13:23:07 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I've just started my journey inside local zones on latest hipster (2016.10)
and I have a few questions for which I can't find a conclusive solution
googling around.

1) Is sysconfig or sysidtool (the tool that starts when the first zlogin -C
myzone is executed) for the local configuration of the zone still available in
openindiana/hipster or do I need to manually configure the zone? (timezone,
root pw, hostname, keyboard, network etc).

2) my local zone has a /home directory and an /export directory but it hasn't
got the export/home zfs filesystem that I have on every rpool so when I try to
issue a:

	useradd -m local-user

I get an error "unable to create the home directory. Operation non applicable".

What is the "correct" or preferred way to proceed?

Can I/should I create, inside my local zone, an export/home zfs filesystem,
mount it onto /export and then add the user?

Or is it better to mount the global zone's /export/home inside the local zone
(adding an fs with zonecfg) to have a place where I can create local user's homes?

Thanks.

Maurilio.

--