[OpenIndiana-discuss] missing Description field in many IPS packages

Tim Mooney Tim.Mooney at ndsu.edu
Mon Nov 7 18:47:01 UTC 2016

In regard to: Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] missing Description field in many...:

> On 11/ 4/16 11:50 PM, Richard Lowe wrote:
>> Description fields are omitted when they would otherwise just duplicate the
>> summary.
>
> But they could be provided if one is keen to write them as I understand.
> Maybe those Description fields could be there And duplicate summary, so
> that there is the field to filled?

I understand the desire to not just repeat what the Summary says, but
I think for many packages, Description can provide more extensive
information about the package.

I've been trying to find a very easy way to start with contributing
to packages for OI, so as long as there isn't complete opposition from
the core developers to more packages having a Description field, I may
try my hand at adding a few.

> Btw to all,
> Descriptions are very useful, especially for new people.

Agreed.  In some rare cases, it can also be very useful for a Description
to provide important details about whether a package was built with
a particular feature enabled.

Tim
Room 242-J6, Quentin Burdick Building                  701-231-8541 (Fax)