[OpenIndiana-discuss] to update oi to hipster or install hipster ...

Adam Števko adam.stevko at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 08:37:19 UTC 2016

Hi guys,

I can conclude that updating from OI /dev was tested in july/august and it worked. HOWEVER, those systems had these specifics:
- no zones installed. /dev ipkg vs /hipster ipkg are completely different types, so upgrading if you have zones is _DANGEROUS_.
- were mostly only base installs

If somebody of you wants to try it out, I would recommend following steps:

- ensure that you can revert to previous state
-  replace dev with hipster publisher and try pkg update -nv to see the outcome.
- if that does'nt work try hipster-2015 publisher and try pkg update -nv
- decide if you want to try it

After successfull update, you will be in hipster (in the case of hipster-2015, you might need to update to hipster once more).

When updating, also keep in mind that once hipster is installed and you potentionally upgrade your zpool to support new features, there is no way back to dev. Also, when updating keep grub vs loader change in my, so you are not suprised upon reboot (if you wish to continue using grub, follow tbe steps mentioned in loader announcement).

If you have any questions, just ask.

Cheers,
Adam